City Landmarks – Aram Bagh

Tread carefully here. Tread carefully here for Ram and Sita walked here somewhere. For Ram and Sita slept here somewhere. For Ram and Sita prayed here somewhere. Tread carefully here even if you don’t believe the legend, for showing respect hurts nobody. Aram Bagh or Ram Bagh as it was known prior to partition was famously visited by Ram and Site en route to Hinglaj from Mahadev Temple. For obvious reason the place turned into a pilgrimage site for Hindus and many temples were built to mark the holiness of the area.

In 1857 the mutineers of the area were blasted through the cannons here. For the very reason the area became a hub of political activity post mutiny. Post independence the place turned into a refugee camp and later renamed as Aram Bagh.

The place remained hub of all above activity for one reason. There has been abundance of water in this area and many wells were dug here to supply water in the area. The wells have disappeared along with the temples. A sad story. A sad story indeed. It would have been one important piece of history which we could have spared for our future generations. Taking Karachi further than its days as Kolachi to the days it was known as Ramya.

A sad story indeed.

A beautiful mosque is the only landmark standing close to Aram Bagh apart from an abandoned temple. The mosque was built post partition. Its closed after prayers. The place is worth a visit. Park is home to homeless. A perfect getaway for passersby. Its standing in a crowded street makes it a worthy stop. Pigeons were chewing in pallid winter sunlight. A street romeo was relaxing in the middle of the park. Some old friends were chatting idly. A child ran after pigeons. Pigeons ran away from him. In all directions. It was beautiful.

Advertisements

Tags:

Categories: City Landmarks

Stay in touch

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

20 Comments on “City Landmarks – Aram Bagh”

1. Mariam
    December 22, 2010 at 9:57 am #

where is this place?

• Mudassir Ali
      February 9, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

This place, Arambagh (which was originally “Ram Bagh”) is on M.A Jinnah Road (which was originally “Bunder Road”), Karachi. It is close to Jamia Cloth Market, Dow Medical College /Civil Hospital, and Khaliq Deena Hall.

• Tariq Khan
        February 18, 2011 at 11:11 pm #

Aram Bagh is not on M.A. Jinnah (Previously Bunder Road). Its situated between old Frere Road (now Shahrahe-Liaquat) and Ram Tallou Road. Its main gate is on Frere Road where all the busses come from Tower and other gate is on Ram Talou Road where all the furniture shops are located.

I thought I offer this correction; of course with due respect as you were partially right as it is near M.A. Jinnah Road.

Regards, Tariq.

• ABDULLAH BIN ZUBAIR
      September 5, 2015 at 8:32 pm #

I THINK THAT YOUrE A FORIEGNER

2. December 24, 2010 at 7:49 pm #

nice blog , glad to check it out:)

3. February 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

I lived in front of Aram Bagh since my birth until 1972. We lived in the building in front of its Main Gate with the Stairs; that is on Ram Tallou Road. I always considered Aram Bagh as my front yard; played there in 110 degree heat & went for prayers in 35 degree mornings.
    Besides being bit once by an astray dog; I remember many great politicians including honorables such as Liaquat Ali Khan, Hussain Shaheed Suharwardi, Khawaja Nazimuddin, Mr. Daultana, and many other notable politicians of early 50s & 60s holding their party’s town hall meetings there. I vividly remember once Sardar Abdul Rab Nishtar visiting around 11:00 AM on a cold January morning with virtually no reason, just to hang around the park and speak to locals. He was wearing a black Sherwani and his usual cap. I approached him & shook hand with him; I still feel the kindness in his eyes and the warmth of his strong hand, and will never forget that moment.
    We played Cricket with hard ball, soccer, hockey, Gilli Dunda and Kunchay (marbles). Whenever we played Kunchay, the Muazzin Saheb of the Masjid always used to run after us with his stick and confiscate our Kunchays.
    When the Basketball was introduced in Karachi, my friends in the neighborhood helped clean the ground, and installed the first wooden basketball hoop. We played on clay court after the elders done playing.
    Besides funny episodes between customers and furniture salesmen, small time Hashish dealers, domestic quarrels between immigrant families, and still glimpses of pre-partition India, there are hundred of funny & sad stories about Arambagh.
    I can write a whole book of my days of living in Aram Bagh neighborhood. If anyone wants to know more about Aram Bagh, I certainly can tell them all about it up until 1972.
    In conclusion, I now lived in a very comfortable house and safe surroundings; but I will never ever let go my love for living in a 2 room flat in Aram Bagh neighborhood. It was a heaven for me & my friends. That is my heritage.

• Huzefa
      July 15, 2012 at 10:15 am #

I encourage you to write that book! You write very well and people need to hear your stories.

Please do give it careful consideration.

• Noor Siddiqui
      January 6, 2015 at 8:16 am #

Hi Tariq,
      I work for a production company and we’re doing a documentary about Karachi and hope to feature Aram Bagh. Can we interview you for additional information about the site since you have interesting stories about Aram Bagh. Please get in touch via email noor@socfilms.com or phone 03319121945 or 35651821/ 35651821

4. February 17, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

In conclusion, I now live in a very comfortable house and safe surroundings; but I will never ever let go my love for living in a 2 room flat in Aram Bagh neighborhood. It was a heaven for me & my friends. That is my heritage.

5. Haroon Basathia
    March 23, 2011 at 2:48 am #

Nicely written, well described childhood, being your close friend I can not
    forget the time I spend (most ) in this neighbor hood, going for namaz, playing
    in the open ground and dont foget the tea we use to have it Irani’s hotel and
    hot puff pastries those were the wonderful of our good old days,
    good luck all the best

6. Tyrone T
    September 21, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

it’s near the furniture market in Arambagh can’t miss the mosque and the famous bball court!

7. roha
    December 9, 2011 at 10:23 am #

wowww, toooo nice our old memories

8. Iftikhar Habib Khan
    September 17, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

I have spent my childhood in and around Burns Road area. I lived on Kutchery Road.
    I have read all the comments with interest and enjoyed every word, but strangle enough no
    one has mentioned the CYCLING EVENTS that used to take place in Aram Bagh. People would cycle in circles without stopping for four days, six days. Do you people remember? Iftikhar

• TKhan
      September 17, 2012 at 5:44 pm #

Yes, Iftikikhar, I vividly remember the cycling events. Couple of them were fake as they happened right in front of our balcony; and there were times when the organizers changed the rider when there were only 1 or 2 spectators in the wee hours of morning. There was nothing exciting; the guy going around and around; so even you slept over it, nothing a missed. Even the event in itself brought several funny moments where organizers during the peak hours distributed 1 Rupee notes to some of us to give it to the rider to encourage others to do the same.

9. Nouman
    November 4, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

Aram bagh is not a real name actually correct name is around bagh

10. Peter Pate
    January 11, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

I left Karachi in 1963. Regret I cannot remember Aram Bagh. I can however remember Jehangir Park. It was in Saddar just next to Empress Market . It was originally a sports ground and hosted many big crickt matches. I remember watching Hanif Mohammed and his broyjers Wazir and Raees playing there.

later I think about 1958 /1959 the ground was turned into a public park and crocket was transferred to the new National Stadium.
    Does anyone remember this ?
    Peter Pate

11. Dr. Ravi Kumar Bhargava
    March 9, 2013 at 10:58 am #

From: Dr. Ravi Kumar Bhargava
    Dean Architecture, Hindustan University,
    O.M.R. Padur, CHENNAI- 603103 INDIA

Dear friends,
    I have heard from the some of the people migrated to India from Karachi after partition
    About ‘Ram Bagh’. Its nice to know that it is going to be declared as a Heritage Site.
    What is important is its lost glory should be restored and preserved by removing the
    Encroachment including its original name- ‘Ram Bagh’. I have been informed that there are
    many such Historically and mythological important places in Pakistan in pathetic condtion.
    My Pakistani brothers and sisters Should realize that all these things/ buildings are the
    creation of your own ancestors hence required to be preserved.
    With warm Regards……… Ravi Kumar Bhargava

12. February 20, 2015 at 1:44 pm #

Great to know this and appreciate the contribution and intrest of all participant. Is there any body who can guide me where I can find the folding aluminium chairs which were very popular for Gardens. Is there any shop at armbagh funiture market please.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Karachi Landmarks – Aram Bagh | Tea Break - December 21, 2010

[…] believe the legend, for showing respect hurts … Continue reading → Read more at: The Karachi Walla Aram Bagh, Karachi Landmarks, RAM, Sita This post […]